- You can’t simply say I am happy and I will always be happy, we usually attach happiness with about. You can say like ‘I am happy about my job or about my marriage’. But when there is a slight change happens in our about thing then we might lose our happiness.
- It’s not sorrowful that is opposite to happiness, but it is when you don’t show it on your face then you are not happy. “A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.” – Proverbs 15:13
- To have a cheerful face, you need a happy heart not just for the moment, you need to fill your heart with the kind of joy that is safe and secure and none can take away. What is that joy? Let’s see.
Incomplete Joy of the world
- If you have attached your happiness with worldly things then you will be happy only when every single things in your life goes perfect all the time. You will be worried about the future that something may go wrong. Your happiness will never be complete if your about is attached with the worldly things. It is written “Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom.” – James 4:9. This is how it will be if we attach to worldly things, for the moment we will feel like top of the world, next moment we will mourn for the same.
- “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:21. What is your treasure? What you are having in the world is given by God, everything that is given to you is for you to do good with that. It is written to not love the things in this world. You are allowed to enjoy the things you earn in a way that doesn’t bring harm to anyone, but just don’t attach your happiness with that.
- It is also written, “Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.” – John 12:24, so unless you let go of the desires you have on the things in the world, you cannot find the joy in the Lord.
The word and the joy
- “For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.” – John 17:8. By accepting the word our heart will be filled with joy that none can take away. “Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,” – 1 Peter 1:8. The word is the Lord Jesus Christ, and the joy is about the salvation, that our names are written in the heaven “However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” – Luke 10:20, that there will not be anymore mourning “‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” – Revelation 21:4, that we are going to live forever by eating from the tree of life, which is prohibited from us as the punishment for the first sin, “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” – Revelation 2:7
- We should be happy about the hope we have in salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” – Romans 12:12
- By accepting we will be filled with joy but it will be complete only by following his commands. ““As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” – John 15:9-13. Love is what makes our joy complete. Because he said us to Love all and this is his only command to all. Only by obeying his command our joy will be complete.
- “The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.” – Matthew 13:20-21.
- Let us not be like the seed fell on the rock ground which accepted the word with joy yet as it cannot let go of the desires of the world, the joy was taken away from it, but be the seeds that have fallen in good soil those who follow his commands so that our joy will be complete.
- Love is not something you receive but you give. Love is one kind of magical tree that will grow inside you whenever you give love to others. When you are giving love actually you are receiving it from yourself. How to give love? “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- This is the great definition for Love, it is the love you have to give to everyone, not just with those who love you but to everyone, as God says Love all. This is the kind of Love we should give.
- “We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.” – Romans 15:1-2
- For all the fruit of the spirits there is only one formula, when we accept the Lord Jesus, we will be planted with the seeds of the each fruit, thus Love will also be planted as a seed inside our heart. And there is only one formula to make these seeds grow, “Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.” – Matthew 13:12.
- Thus whoever has given love, will be given more love. If you are like the seed that fell on good soil you will use what is given to you and will produce much more crops than what was sown. “Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.” – Matthew 13:8
- He loves us that’s why he called us, none can take away the love the Lord have for us. “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:35, 38-39. This is the kind of love God gives us.
- “Freely you have received; freely give.” – Matthew 10:8. “We love because he first loved us.” – 1 John 4:19
- We received Love freely from our Lord, thus we should freely give this Love to others. For the Lord’s Love he says he will not remember our wrong doing, and will not be easily angered with us but will be patient and kind to us, in the same way we have to give.
- Here is the algorithm for giving Love
- Step 1: Accept the Lord and receive his Love by declaring it with your mouth.
- Step 2: Love the Lord, always trust God, always hopes, always perseveres, rejoice with the truth.
- Step 3: Give this Love to yourself first, because it is written , ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ – Matthew 22:39, so you have to love yourself first to give that love to others
- Step 4: Apply the characteristics of love to all and remember that all includes you too.
Step 1: Accept theLord
- “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”” – Romans 10:9-13
Step 2: Love the Lord
- “Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” – Deuteronomy 6:5
- We should give love to our Lord, always trust his will, be patient in your trials, be hopeful about the salvation.
- To check whether you are loving God with all your heart, soul and strength there is one measurement is given, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” – 1 John 4:18. So test yourself, how much fear you have for the things in this world that much you are lagging. Fear for him alone.
Declare the promises to cast away fear
- ““If my house were not right with God, surely he would not have made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part; surely he would not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire.” – 2 Samuel 23:5. This is one of the final words of Kind David, we can understand how much he would have afraid of the salvation on his dead bed, he too sinned, and got punishment from God, yet he says his house were right with God it’s because of the Love he had on God that he received from the God first, he casted those fears about his salvation away by declaring the promises the Lord gave him, this way he makes his love for the Lord perfect.
Step 3: Love yourself
- Easy to say but might be hard for some, because devil will try to make you hate yourself, he will make you feel inferior by your appearance, your sins, things you possess in this world.
- First your appearance doesn’t matter, God created you this way because he thought you are perfect in this way to do his will. Who can comment on the things that the Lord said perfect? None, including you. Outer beauty doesn’t matter but the inner is what matters. “Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.” – Matthew 23:26
- Next your sins, devil will come to you to make you feel guilt and will not let you receive the Lord’s love. But we have already seen this in the Light, when we repent our sins we will be clean again and the Lord will not even remember those sins. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9. Your sin will try to take away the joy about your salvation. So you don’t have to feel guilt about your past, as the Lord said he forgot it, change your guilt into love for the Lord by repenting. “Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” – Luke 7:47
- Things you possess in this world are temporary and they are not your treasures, enjoy with the things you possess in this world “Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God.” – Ecclesiastes 5:19, and give equally to everyone who asks. Enjoy with it but don’t love it, “Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.” – Ecclesiastes 5:10.
Rich or Poor
- I am not talking about how much wealth you are having, whatever you have say thanks to God and enjoy with it. If you had more, don’t think like because of your hard work you earned more it is written, “The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.” – Proverbs 21:31. It’s because of God’s grace you are who you are, not because of you, so don’t think yourself high.
- On the other hand, if you are worrying that you are poor, then never be, “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.’” – Matthew 19: 23-24. so thank God you that you are not rich, as for rich there will be more temptation for them to love money and to earn more but not enjoying with it and also not giving to anyone. You don’t need to go through this kind of darkness.
- About rich, “When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished and asked, ‘Who then can be saved?’Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” – Matthew 19: 25-26, so seek God to overcome that temptation and do his will.
Enjoy the wealth
- Not all will have the ability to enjoy the wealth they possess, “I have seen another evil under the sun, and it weighs heavily on mankind: God gives some people wealth, possessions and honor, so that they lack nothing their hearts desire, but God does not grant them the ability to enjoy them, and strangers enjoy them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil. A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he. For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?” – Ecclesiastes 6:1-3, 12
- So thanks for the Lord that he gave you ability to enjoy, thus never spend your whole day working for your tomorrow, always work for today to enjoy the wealth you gained today. But when anyone asks you, give to them, give everyone equally.
- “If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”” – 1 Corinthians 15:32-33, in your enjoyment it will be more tempting for you to love the things you possess or to love the things that other’s possess (jealousy), so you might work hard to earn the similar or much better things than the other, but remember your possession is not for your happiness but for your comfort God gave you so use it and also allow anyone who is need also to use it. Fear him, “For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”” – Romans 9:15. So don’t misled, but with the thanksgiving heart enjoy the wealth given to you, as he has mercy on you.
Step 4: Love all
- “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” – Romans 12:9-21
- I don’t need to add anymore to it as this word covers most of the scenario we might go wrong. Each scenario is important, your Love must be like the above described way. If it is not like that, then change yourself. As like Lord’s love for us, neither trouble nor hardship, neither persecution nor famine, nor nakedness, neither danger nor sword, neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, take you from giving the love for each other. Always be patient, be kind, humble, and always choose from the giving love list, and don’t pick anything from non giving love list. Because, “If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.” – 1 Corinthians 13:3
- “If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” – James 2:8-10
- In the process of giving love, we should give equally to everyone, thus you should treat everyone with kindness, “Those who are kind benefit themselves, but the cruel bring ruin on themselves.” – Proverbs 11:17. How you treat others is what you going to receive in your heart, it’s not like it will come to you from others but from yourself. The moment you lost patience and acted cruel all the love inside you will be taken away. “Whoever does not have (given love), even what they have will be taken from them”. Then only by repenting your sin you can get it back. But I say fear the Lord, don’t let God’s wrath come on you, Saul was the Lord’s anointed king, but when he didn’t follow God’s will, God’s wrath came on him, that no matter how much he pleaded it was never forgiven to him. Let’s not play with the God’s patience, and fear for the Lord our God always.
- So without showing favors, be patient and kind to all, not just to those who love you, but also to your enemy and even to the strangers. Love ALL to make your Joy complete in you.
“Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”
-2 Corinthians 13:11
Peace be with you